I have barely had a moment to post anything in the last month. I have been busier than ever with my business. However, I have found time (read: I must eat!) in my kitchen to experiment developing my own recipes. Having worked in one of Canada’s largest test kitchens for many years, creating recipes is second nature to me. However now my focus is on delicious AND nutritious foods made with minimally processed ingredients.
When my sweet mother-in-law recently said my banana bread was the best she has ever had, I thought this recipe might just be post-worthy. Or at least now my MIL has a place to find the recipe she loves.
I don’t use conventional wheat flour for a number of reasons so in this recipe almond and quinoa are my flours of choice. I find the mix gives a nice texture to the loaf and makes it gluten-free. Feel free to sub-in another flour you prefer for the almond. And if using maple syrup, KEEP IT REAL! Fake maple syrup is a mix of synthetic or highly processed ingredients. The bananas themselves offer up most of the sweet you will need so you can keep any sweetener you may choose to a minimum.
- 1c almond flour ( can substitute another ie. sunflower seed flour OR coconut flour)
- 1.5 c quinoa flour
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts (I use Manitoba Harvest)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon good quality salt (I used Pink Himalyan)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 c.
- 1/3 c. real maple syrup (my sweetener of choice during springtime in Canada)
- 1/4 c. plain unsweetend organic yogurt
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Set your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease loaf pan (I use coconut oil)
- Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients…eggs, syrup, yogurt, mashed banana + vanilla) and whisk until mixed
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined.
- Pour into loaf pan
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes
- Test it’s done by sticking in a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it is done. Another test is to push down a wee bit on the top with your fingers. A properly cooked loaf will spring back into place.
- Remove from pan and enjoy!
And there you have it, a better than conventional banana bread. AND with the addition of hemp hearts added in you should be able to keep your belly feeling full for longer. Great for a snack or end to a meal!